Saturday, February 18, 2012

My First Blog!

Omg this is my first blog...well i guess i should start with a little something about me...

I am a average American teenage girl. I want things that American girls want, but i also want things that most wouldn't need to want...I want a cure. I have a Mitochondrial disorder hence the name of the blog. My name is Leighanne and all I really want is to raise awareness for mitochondrial disorders and for a great foundation just starting to dig its heels into the ground, CureMito, it is run by mito families and by my fabulous doctor Richard Boles, A pioneer in his field. Not many things are known about this disease but here are a couple facts about it;

  1. Its a common cause of strokes and seizures in children.
  2. A Mitochondrial component in Autism is becoming increasingly apparent.
  3. The vast majority of people with Mitochondrial Disorders have yet to be diagnosed.
  4. Mitochondrial Disease is more common than Muscular Dystrophy, Cystic Fibrosis, and Sickle Cell.
  5. Mitochondrial Disorders are more prevalent than all childhood cancers combined.


It can be hard sometimes. I can't go to school like other kids. I take a couple classes on campus and then I do the rest through Medical Home Schooling where a teacher comes to the house. I get tired really easy, I get migraines that hurt so much they blind me for anywhere between a couple seconds to a couple minutes. I could start throwing up and I won't stop, (I could throw up everything but I'd still be heaving like I was throwing up), until I'm in the hospital getting a thing called D10.....that is stuff I can handle though.

What's really hard is no one can ever really know what you are going through. My mom who has been with me through every hospital admission says she understands because she goes through it to. but she doesn't go through it like I do, she is in the "protective mother worrying about her kid" side of it, whereas I'm actually going through it all. My friends try but they never fully get what I'm saying.

So that is why I created this blog so I can vent about my disorder, shed some light on it, and I hope to find others with this disorder or help others who haven't been diagnosed but have many symptoms of this disorder. I hope to make a difference.

Well I guess that concludes this post. Keep it Real, Keep it Fun, and Spread the Word!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I started one back in May when I was in the process of getting diagnosed with my mitochondrial disease. It is a great outlet to use to express your feelings and keep everyone updated on your health. I am looking forward to following :)

    ReplyDelete